Gazebos are becoming an increasingly popular addition to homes, as they provide a touch of relaxed elegance and a private space for conversations where you can make the most of the great outdoors. Just imagine the fresh breeze, the open skies, and the sounds of birds singing as you sit back and unwind in your gazebo. But beyond getting some much-needed sun and peace, they can also be used for exercise or yoga, making them a versatile feature of any property.
However, installing a gazebo is not as simple as it seems, and there are many important factors to consider before starting the project. Size, location, and materials are all important considerations, and getting them right is essential to ensure the gazebo installation is successful. This begs the question: how big can a gazebo be, and do you need planning permission to make your dream outdoor space come true?
Gazebo Comes in Many Sizes
Gazebos come in all shapes and sizes, so it is important to find the right one for your needs. Some people prefer a small gazebo that can be used for relaxation and reading, while others need a larger structure that can accommodate a party or social gathering. No matter what your needs are, there is sure to be a gazebo style that will fit them.
There is no definitive answer when it comes to what size backyard is best. It entirely depends on how you intend to use the space. If you entertain large groups often, a larger backyard that has a 12×12 gazebo will be more accommodating. However, if you’re looking for a more intimate setting or simply want to add some aesthetic appeal to your yard, a smaller 8×8 may be ideal. Ultimately, it all comes down to personal preference.
Do You Need a Planning Permission to Build or Install a Large Gazebo?
A gazebo does not require planning permission as long as it meets certain guidelines. The total floor area should not exceed 15m2 and it should not be built more than 2 meters from the property’s boundary. If it is placed within 2 meters of the boundary, the gazebo should not be taller than 2.5 meters.
You shouldn’t build a gazebo with an antenna or use it as a sleeping area or living accommodation unless you own a listed building or are in an area of natural interest. That means you’ll need to get approval from the local government in order to build the gazebo.
How to Measure a Gazebo
1. To find the length of the right-angled diagonals of a hexagonal or octagonal gazebo, measure the straight line distance between two opposite vertices. To find the gap between the two vertices, measure the distance between them perpendicular to the line connecting them.
2. To determine the circumference of the gazebo, you need to multiply the length of one side by the number of sides. If each side is four feet long, then you would multiply 4 times 8 to find the perimeter.
3. Place a ruler or other straight edge between the two marks, and draw a line. This line will be one of the sides of your new, smaller shape. Repeat this process on the other sides of the original shape, until you have drawn all of the lines.
4. To find the circumference of a gazebo, measure the length of one side and divide it by 2. If the gazebo is 20 feet long, it has a circumference of 10 feet.
5. The area of a gazebo can be found by multiplying the perimeter by the apothem. So, for an octagonal gazebo, you would multiply 32 (the perimeter) by 10 (the apothem), to get a result of 320 square feet.
The Bottom Line: Let Professionals Help You Choose the Best Size for Your Home’s Gazebo
As you can see, there are a few things to consider when deciding on the best size for your home’s gazebo. If you take the time to think about what you need and want, then you should have no problem finding the perfect size for your backyard oasis. However, if you’re still unsure, it might be a good idea to consult with a professional. They can help you figure out the best size and shape for your gazebo based on your specific needs and wants.
Are You Looking for Affordable Storage Buildings and Gazebo for Your Home?
At Burnett Affordable Buildings, we offer a wide variety of studio sheds and gazebos that are both affordable and stylish. Our buildings are made from high-quality materials, so you can be sure they will last for years. We also offer a variety of customization options, so you can create the perfect building for your needs.